Voluntary compliance as a necessary feature. By Dana Edwards. Posted in Steemit. September 29, 2018.
Voluntary compliance in moral alignment with the participant
Every platform which is decentralized in my opinion should allow it's users to comply with the laws of their local jurisdiction to the degree which each user thinks is moral. The platform should not enforce the laws of any specific jurisdiction or remove the ability of any user to comply with the laws of their local jurisdiction. This means if a user would like to track and pay taxes the platform should provide a means for users to do this. This means if users would like to go through KYC before interacting with ICOs so that their accounts are whitelisted by banks they should be allowed. This also means that if a user thinks that a certain regulation or rule or law is immoral that they should be allowed to make up their own mind and take their own risks.
In other words platforms should not choose for users what is right and wrong. Platforms should simply provide the tools so that each person can decide how much risk they are willing to accept in alignment with their morality. The ability to comply with the law is necessary for mainstreamability. Mainstreamability ability is about winning the long war rather than the little battle. In order for crypto to have the maximum positive impact on future generations it must go mainstream and escape from the fringe use cases. This applies as much to Steem as it does to Ethereum as it does to Tauchain. Mainstreamability are the key elements which enable mainstream adoption success.
Legal contracts as tokens
Compliance can be modularized, tokenized, decentralized. Legal contracts can become tokens. The risk (and it is real) of money laundering or rogue nations violating sanctions can be reduced by decentralizing AML/KYC. At the same time regional locks in my opinion are one of the worst ideas and should not be technically enforced. Once again compliance should be voluntary but always allowed.
What does it mean to voluntarily comply? A participant can choose to comply to reduce their risks. The participant who does not comply is willing to take the risk of non-compliance. This means compliance is a means of risk reduction. But in a decentralized network such as a decentralized exchange the risk is entirely on the users. The users can decide (and only the users) which level of risk is best for them. Developers of the platform should have no responsibility to decide for the users of the platform what is morally right or what risks are acceptable or unacceptable to take.
De Lege Ferenda  is a series. Like the Tauchain Exegesis ,  is. One train of articles.
This is the introductory 'locomotive' article where I attempt to nail down the essential basics. This is nontrivial cause it requires compression of very long stream of thoughts and research. Spanning literally decades. In that sense some of the overcompressed categorical statements are also cognitive ''letters of credit''  or ''promisory notes''  - comprising debt of mine for future separate more detailed explanations to come. I'm afraid this is the only way the theses and conclusions of mine to be expressed in a reader-friendly way. Of course, questions and comments as mutual understanding accelerator are as always more than welcome.
Three ''angles of attack'' , in roman numerals and capitals in pure latin (the lingua franca  of law :) bellow:
Maybe I ,  already tired you with repeating my incantation of:
Law is Between, Code is Within , 
It is quite multi-dimensional in meanings and multi-disciplinary in consequences but here it comes to denote the unavoidability of Law. Rendered down to the most basic physics we currently know:
This is the way and reason why Law is enforceable and Code is executable. And the major categorial difference between them which makes the notion of 'code is law'  utter nonsense, as well as, it seems, also destroys the very basis of the notion of 'smart contracts' . But this belongs to bunch of other series of mine to come ...
Even if it was theoretically possible all effectors  to become one, there'd still be internal uncertainty fragmentation and thus unavoidability of enforcement.
Leaving this head-dizzying fundamental cognitive datum  and heading up across the higher abstraction epistemic layers  we reach the surface to take a swallow of fresh air to:
Nothing, read my lips, NO-THING in crypto or blockchain has ever been or could possible be extralegal.
Cuz there ain't a thing in any blockchain aspect which is not ... physical. Hence beyond the scope of Law.
Blockchain is most probably the arrival of the expected Hanson engine , or Szabo booster , or ultimate Clusivity management tool . Which makes it extremely important domain for proper legal treatment and regulation - both as taxonomy within the existing institutes of Law  - lex lata, and as creation of novel norms to cater it - lex ferenda .
(as a side note: expectedly the novel collective mnemonic technologies knows under the umbrella term of 'crypto' provide positive feedback loop to strengthen the Law, too - Tauchain  seems to promise  the advent of law, at last, as consistent and decidable set of rules, for first time ever.)
II. IURIS DICTIO
Law being inherently about physical, is also about spatiotemporal, i.e. about geography / geopolitics. It is always territorial even when it is cross-border applicable by the virtue of international law or internal rules to resolve inter-jurisdictional normative collisions.
The known world (I deliberately do not say: the planet, the Earth, or the globe because of ... of course - the Outer Space Law  !), is tessalated geographically into jurisdictions , . Countries or nations. The pattern pixels of the universal human jursdictional cellularity. But borders not as much divide as they connect.
The world is internet of jurisdictions no matter how yet primitive are the networking protocols and architecture. And because due to topological defficiencies this can not yet be a geodesic network  - some jurisdictions are special. And among the special there are some which are even more special than the merely special ones. The specialness stems from the fact of what a jurisdiction enjoyed gives to its user.
After decades of observation and practice and comparative studies I reached the conclusion that THE jurisdiction is the Principality of Liechtenstein ! 
Mere ennumeration of its features and the sheer lack of bugs would occupy a sizeable volume. Liechtenstein is not just an island periphery money hideout of an old fat imperial metropoly - it is a HUB. It is immersed  right into the middle of the healthiest-wealthiest community of EU .
What starts in Liechtenstein does not stay in Liechtenstein but swiftly propagates into the giant space of EEA . It is a keyhole jurisdiction straight into this most giant jurisdiction of jurisdictions - so strong in soft power  and so influential that even the FAMGA  seem to reckon Europe more than their own home jurisdiction .
Liechtenstein is simultaneously with deepest and most stable roots in the best of history and geography and is most advanced and ahead in the making of legislation of a highest probe of adequacy.
It does in 2018 - what I (and just a few others) predicted years ago to happen. We must herein admit that other jurisdictions do have some timid try-outs for legal codification of the blockchain but nothing compares with the comprehesive and in-depth approach of the Principality's legislators.
On 28th of August 2018 Liechtenstein published  a draft  of the new Blockchain Act:
<< On 28 August 2018, the Ministry for General Government Affairs and Finance of Liechtenstein published the consultation report on the new Blockchain Act (Act on Transaction Systems based on Trustworthy Technologies (VT) (Blockchain Act; VT Act; VTG)).
The government has decided to regulate not only the current Blockchain-applications (in particular cryptocurrencies and initial coin offerings (ICOs)), but also to establish a legal basis for the entire scope of application of the token economy according to a long-term approach, which should also meet the needs of future generations. >>
The basic provisions of the Liechtenstein Blockchain Act are exposed yet only in German language - which I'm not at all in command of and a language quite indgestable by the Google Transalte AI.
The consultation period ends on 16 November 2018, i.e. less than 2 months left from today.
My modest intention is by this De Lege Ferenda series of articles to provide my comments and opinions to 'whom it may concern' on the upcoming Liechtenstein Blockchain Act.
You already know I'm kinda fond of timelining and retrodictions.  :)
Every result has its cause, often hidden in the ocean of data what past is, and quite hard to distinguish.
US has its Captain America . Liechtenstein is lucky to have its Mr Liectenstein .
Andreas Erick Johannes Kohl Martinez of the House of Sequence . Remember that name.
Since the dawn of the blockchain era, I'm under the strong conviction that Liechtenstein is the true Crypto Valley  of the globe. So is Andreas, too. Purely by chance it occured that we both - long time before we knew eachother - have this astronomically improbable coincidence or synchronicity  of this and multitude of other thoughts.
Society of mind .
[*] - photo attributed to: By Michael Gredenberg - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18962
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_ferenda
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-exegesis-intro
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-exegesis-the-two-towers
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_of_credit
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promissory_note
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_attack
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca
 - http://www.behest.io/
 - https://steemit.com/blockchain/@karov/behest-for-tauchain
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-trumps-procrustics
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-and-the-cost-of-trust
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermion
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_information
 - https://www.coindesk.com/code-is-law-not-quite-yet/
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_contract
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-over-de-latil
 - https://www.etymonline.com/word/data
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-the-hanson-engine
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-as-szabo-booster
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/clusivity-by-tauchain
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_lata
 - http://www.idni.org/
 - http://www.idni.org/blog/tau-and-the-crisis-of-truth.html
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_law
 - https://www.etymonline.com/word/jurisdiction
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisdiction
 - https://steemit.com/blockchain/@karov/geodesic-by-tau
 - https://www.liechtenstein.li/en/
 - https://www.liechtenstein-business.li/en/economic-area/get-to-know/hidden-treasures/liechtenstein-combines-the-best-of-both-worlds/
 - http://europa.eu/
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_power
 - https://medium.com/crypto-oracle/why-cryptos-a-growing-threat-to-famga-a-k-a-facebook-apple-microsoft-google-and-amazon-ea237570d3ea
 - https://www.dw.com/en/eu-gives-facebook-twitter-ultimatum-on-consumer-protection-laws/a-45573561
 - https://www.pwc.ch/en/insights/regulation/liechtenstein-publishes-draft-of-the-new-blockchain-act.html
 - https://www.llv.li/files/srk/vnb-blockchain-gesetz.pdf
 - https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@karov/bitcoin-retrodictions
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_America
 - https://podcast.bitcoin.com/e349-How-Libertarian-Leader-Mr-Liechtenstein-Got-Lucky
 - http://www.sequence.li/
 - https://www.businessinsider.com/what-its-like-in-zug-switzerlands-crypto-valley-2018-6
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Mind
 - https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/scaling-is-layering &https://steemit.com/tauchain/@karov/tauchain-transcaling
Logo by CapitanArt
Enlaces / Links
Logo by CapitanArt
Archivos / Archives
Suggested readings to better understand the Tau ecosystem, Tau Meta Language, Tau-Chain and Agoras, and collaborate in the development of the project.
Lecturas sugeridas para entender mejor el ecosistema Tau, Tau Meta Lenguaje, Tau-Chain y Agoras, y colaborar en el desarrollo del proyecto.